Sunday, November 03, 2013


At several points in the past ~14 months, Kaiser Vallejo was my “#1 choice.” I think its biggest selling point is that it’s the first family medicine residency for Kaiser Northern California. This is a selling point for me because I want to be a Kaiser doc, and because I love Nor Cal. Even as recent as the National Conference in Kansas City 2.5 months ago, I wanted to match there so bad.

That feeling has waxed and waned. As I learn in more detail about which programs are highly respected, I see myself more in one of these excellent training programs…and I see myself less in a brand new residency.

I don’t mind the frustrations and growing pains that are anticipated with anything that’s brand new. But I do worry about the quality of the training. It’ll be a huge leap of faith.

The reason I was so excited about this program in Kansas City is because I learned that they have a relationship with Vallejo Unified School District, and that each resident will be assigned to a school to assess its needs and execute an intervention. This idea still excites me very much. I still have a deep passion for education, I still believe that education can solve our world’s problems. I would love to influence the health of a community by targeting its youth.

The work schedule will be relatively light, and that used to be very appealing to me. But again, as I learn about these highly respected programs that are inpatient heavy, a demanding schedule doesn’t seem so bad. I do value free time and sleep and wellness…but a part of me wants to challenge myself. Really pay my dues. Just jump in the pool. I believe I will grow more in a more challenging residency. And I love growth.

I didn’t feel the same enthusiasm that I felt at UCSF. While it’s a great hospital and the program has some great aspects, it’s lacking that excellence UCSF exuded. Obviously, a new program cannot provide examples of excellence. But the attendings were new, and they were lacking the ability to inspire that only experience can provide. 

I still want to be a Kaiser doc, and a Kaiser residency would be the easiest road to take. But I can still be a Kaiser doc even if I did a non-Kaiser residency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name, or at least your initials.